[NCLUG] how was I hacked?

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Sun Jun 1 14:40:12 MDT 2003

	Also, this server sits behind a firewall router that only allows web and
	ssh ports through. I thought this was pretty safe, but apparently not
	safe enough?

	Thanks for any help,
	Daniel Herrington

Older machines with open SSL services are actively searched for and exploited
and since Redhat is only providing security updates for the last two current
releases, all machines running something prior to 8.0 are targets.

Heck I net installed one machine this month that was scanned and hacked in the
hour or so before I got the updates installed.

If your web server isn't very complex, you might consider using TUX to serve it
instead .... much less code, much easier to security verify. Ditto for ftp. I
will note that TUX ftp has a 14 char password limit/bug that breaks apt-get
and several other things.

John