[NCLUG] DRI...

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 3 11:20:21 MDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Upgrading to 4.3 probably won't help...  I'm running 4.3 on an i830
> chipset, and it also is crashing once every 3 to 4 days.  I think it's
> only when I suspend.  Sometimes I come back from a suspend and it dumps
> me back to the login screen.

Ahh, this is better than what I'm seeing.  My machine totally freezes, I
suppose to some massive agp corruption, and I'll need to basically
hard-reboot to get out of this state of daze...

How much ram do you have dedicated to video memory?  I suppose I could
dedicate some more so I could get 24bpp (the laptop probably has more
physmem than I really need) but I have no idea how to as there's not even
a bios setting to do so.  Thought that AGP GART should be able to
dynamically allocate more RAM.  Maybe 4.3 and a new GART driver will
fix this.

> Yeah, the performance of the i830 chipset is not very good, particularly
> at 3d stuff.  My laptop, the ThinkPad x30 has the i830, but the newer
> and older ones have the Radeon.  For me, the ability to add the second
> battery was more important than 3d though.

I figured it's not that good, but it was better than my mach64 rage pro
agp... at least warcraft3 shown it to be so ;)  (and go figure, people are
still writing a driver for DRI for that rage pro, too???)