[NCLUG] Spamassassin with qmail

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Jun 4 15:44:21 MDT 2003

On 04 Jun 2003 at 20:59:31, k.h.olson at att.net moved bits on my disk to say:

> Then the only trick is getting the spam deamon to deliver to the Maildir,
> and things are good.

Not a trick at all. As long as you have procmail deliver the mail, you're
golden. Procmail does maildir.

The secret is to have spamassassin just report on the status and return
the message to procmail for actual delivery, a la:

:0fw
| spamassassin

:0e
{
    EXITCODE=$?
}

:0:
spam

> 1)Adjust the default spam level down. I think it started at 7.5 or something,
> but we've adjusted it to 6.

SpamAssassin's default *should* be five. Mine was.

I know lots of installations that set the default at 5 and at 2.5, prepend
"{Spam?}" to the subject line.

> > Granted, I use Postfix (I don't feel like dealing with DJB's constant and
> > consistent bullshit), so I don't know how to do that. It's easy with
> > Postfix. I don't know how easy it is with qmail.
>
> While DJB does believe that his way is better, he also has created a very
> fast and reliable mail system.

It's not that he believes his way is better. All software developers
believe that.

It's that he's a complete asshole about it.

Later,
Paul