[NCLUG] Proposal

James DeWitt jdewitt at verinet.com
Tue Jun 10 01:43:30 MDT 2003

That's a good idea, but implementing it retroactively would be a problem.

Since early 2001, the NCLUG archiver (Mailman) has been set to remove
source email addresses in the postings.  However, addresses are still used
sometimes in message IDs.  These would have to be obfuscated consistently,
or threading would be lost.  Also, some people put them in their signature, or
quoted message header, and some mailers add tags like:

We could close the archive to non-subscribers, but that is not hard to get
around, or run the archive through some program to remove the addresses.
But the addresses are already known and archived in n different databases,
like google's cache.  Your address could have been gathered from NCLUG,
or some campus mailing.

The most practical strategy seems to be using SpamAssassin, or requesting
your sysadmin to do so.  I'm surprised that CSU hasn't had to start using it
long ago.

Thanks,
James DeWitt