[NCLUG] Re: Referring to an external USB device?

Anthony Earl Anthony.Earl at MountainAvenue.com
Thu Jun 12 12:16:16 MDT 2003

Mike Wrote:

>If it is the only "CDROM"-like device in your system, it should show up
>as /dev/scd0.  But that requires sr_mod to be loaded, which I didn't
>see.  Try "modprobe sr_mod" and then try to access /dev/scd0.  If that
>works, arrange to have it loaded automagically by usbmgr.  That's all
>I've got for suggestions, not having messed with USB much.
>
>I've got a DVD+RW drive though, so if you have trouble after getting it
>working, I can help you then.  ;-)
>
>Regards,
>Mike

Thank-you Mike.  The lack of the sr_mod module was the problem.  I can
now mount the device found at /dev/scd0 and  xcdroast detects it.  I did
not have the permissions problems with  /proc/bus/usb/001  that  Lajiri
suggested might be the case but thanks Lajiri for the suggestion.

I'm trying out growisofs as I type.  It claims it won't be done for a
few hours to copy 450MB from my hardrive (based on:

growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -R -J /home

If you have any recommended tools to try with a DVD+RW I'd be happy to
hear them.

Cheers,
    Ant.