[NCLUG] Dual head video under linux?

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Thu Mar 13 12:20:02 MST 2003

I have a dual-monitor system.  I'm using two video cards:  an Nvidia
GeForce4 and a Voodoo 3 PCI.

Not really any caveats, really.  You just set it up.

You can use xinerama (an extension to XFree86) that just sticks both
screens together to make them look like one, big display.  In this case,
you'll need to have both screens at the same resolution or color depth.

Or you can use them as two different desktops.  This is what I prefer to
do.  You have one Xserver running, but two different instances of the
desktop running independently of each other (one is on display :0.0, the
other is on display :0.1).  KDE supports this right out of the box.  Gnome
2.0 doesn't support this by default, but you can make it work perfectly
with a little tweaking.  (But, why on earth would you want to use
something other KDE anyway?? :-)

Oh yeah, there's one caveat:  galeon isn't smart enough to be able to run
on both :0.0 and :0.1, it can only do one or the other.  I've never had a
problem with any other application.

-Mark