[NCLUG] keeping a linux distribution up-to-date

Kristopher Applegate kapplegate-lug at buffalope.com
Thu May 8 08:03:25 MDT 2003

Gentoo is the same as debian in that it uses a ports collection to keep itself
updated. I am not sure about the other distros, but since the ports collection
concept is so popular I wouldn't doubt if all the major distros had some
project in the works. I would do some hunting around Freshmeat and Sourceforge
to see what you can find. You can however get a version of apt-get for Redhat
at http://www.freshrpms.net . I have used it on Redhat 8.0 and Redhat 9.0 with
success. It is pretty nice when it can resolve all dependencies for you. You
can  use it to install individual packages or to get the latest updates from
redhat. I hope this helps.