[NCLUG] Necessary Intro & Questions

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 09:08:07 MDT 2003

Howdy --

Joined this list last week.  Looks like a good one.  For a lot of
reasons, i want to introduce myself here.

My name is Michael Riversong.  I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  What brings
me into the Linux world is my part-time job as the computer teacher at
Noah Webster Christian School.  I work with all the grades there, and
have about 20 computers running most of the time.  Several operating
systems are always available to the students, because i believe that
giving them a broad background will serve them well as they eventually
make decisions about careers and even personal installations.  Currently
four machines are running Linux.  Two are on Red Hat 7.3, and the other
two are on Corel 1.0.  Yes, Corel is a real dud, and i'm looking for
alternatives that will run on these older computers.  We also have a Red
Hat 6.1 installation hiding in a closet, since it doesn't do much and we
don't need it at the moment.  That one will probably be set up soon as a
remote lab computer, just so i can get better at doing makefiles.

Based on some correspondence, i'd like to try installing an older
version of SuSe or Debian on the two older computers that are now
running Corel.  I tried installing Mandrake 7.0 which somebody donated
to the school, but that didn't work at all.  So, does anyone here have
experience installing various distributions on older machines?  And,
does anyone have one or more of these that they would be willing to
donate to our school?

Are there any other list members in Cheyenne?

Hope to meet some of you at a meeting sometime -- i do some work in Ft.
Collins at times, and even in Greeley once in a while.  In fact this
summer i will be actively seeking teaching and consulting assignments in
Northern Colorado.

Michael Riversong
http://home.earthlink.net/~mriversong
Free MP3s, radical articles, and pictures on the web site!