[NCLUG] XFS filesystem

Christopher J. Keist CJ.Keist at engr.colostate.edu
Thu May 22 10:45:48 MDT 2003

We've been using XFS for our student file server for about two years
now.  I chose XFS at the time because ext3 was still experimental and
XFS had the most development time for linux.  Plus SGI gives you a
nicely modified RH install CD to get everything installed for you.  Our
student file server has 1TB of disk space, and have not had any
problems with XFS.  Its even be able to repair some serious crashes
with no problems.  Most times on system crash it been able to repair in
about 15 seconds.  There has been a few times in which I had to use
xfs_repair, that usually ran about 1hr.  Still a lot better than 5
hours when it was still on ext2 (and that was only 500GB at that
time)!!!