[NCLUG] discrepency between reiserfs and ext3?

robiel robiel at tgstech.com
Thu May 22 21:34:57 MDT 2003

I have a redhat9 box where the root partition is on ext3, and a second drive
is reiserfs.

The problem:  an ArcInfo table (a small binary database table) stored on the
ext3 partition returns sucess after a particular testing script is run on it.
The same ArcInfo table fails the same test when stored on the reiserfs
partition.

If I copy the ArcInfo table from the reiserfs part. to the ext3 part., it
still fails.  basically, once the info table has been written to the reiserfs
part., it will fail the test.

The data does not appear to be corrupt, however.  The info table can be read
successfully and returns the expected results with other tools whether stored
on ext3 or reiserfs.

The problem appears to be that results from the reiserfs part. are returned in
a different order than from the ext3 (or hfs) partitions.

As a last note, both partitions are accessed via NFS from an hp-ux11 box.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and/or ways to correct
it?

Thanks, Robie Lutsey.