[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG digest, Vol 1 #925 - 3 msgs

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun May 25 16:53:30 MDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 12:20:45PM -0600, William Dan Terry wrote:
>Just did a 9 install on a new notebook. It didn't automatically set up
>the cdrom (though it used it just fine for the install). So a little

Actually, it did...  It set it up as a SCSI CD-ROM because your laptop
has a burner.  If I understand correctly, the problem was that there
wasn't a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0.

>linking there. And it didn't find appropriate specs for the X
>configuration.

It sounds like you have a fairly new video chipset in that laptop that
the installer couldn't figure out automatically, and you may have had to
select a similar one manually.  On laptops, the display type often isn't
correctly identified, and you manually have to select one of the Generic
LCD types...  Sad but true.  ;-/

 Home is where your source is.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/