[NCLUG] using smtp

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue May 27 23:22:57 MDT 2003

rosing at peakfive.com wrote:
> I had some mail bounced because the machine I sent to didn't like my
> domain:
>
>  (reason: 550 This domain (client.attbi.com) is banned, contact your local admin.
>
> So I changed emacs to run my outgoing mail through mail.frii.com and
> that fixes it.

Um, that seems really strange.  I could see someone blocking a DHCP
client on attbi.com through one of the RBL+ DUL lists.  That is not so
uncommon.  Although the message is less than helpful.

But if you are a customer of attbi.com then why send mail through
frii.com, a separate business?  And I wouldn't have thought frii.com
would have allowed it.  On attbi.com I would have expected you to
forward it through the attbi.com mail hub.

> But now trestlemail, which I use to distribute mail to other people
> that shows up on my machine, doesn't know about using this.  Is
> there a better way to specify the smtp machine?  Sendmail doesn't
> seem to have any options for this.

I don't remember the exact option to set this in the sendmail.cf file
but in a nutshell you want to tell sendmail to use a smarthost.  Look
in your docs or google around for the configuration command.  In the
old days using the m4 configuration build it would have been something
like this:

  define(`SMART_HOST', `smart.foo.com')

HTH,
Bob