[NCLUG] a rather different view of the rh thing (a bit about sooze also)

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Mon Nov 10 18:18:09 MST 2003

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> Daniel Miles <milesd at cs.colostate.edu> writes:
>
>>For those of us who are a little out of the loop, could you maybe
>>provide a little description of what you mean when you say "red hat is
>>moving away from the desktop?"
>>
>>Sorry, I'm just so curious I had to ask.
>

> There are several ways to read between the lines here, some view it as
> Redhat pulling out of the desktop, which is false as far as I can tell,
> as they plan to keep a DeskTop product for some time to come.
>
> The breakneck 6 month release cycles are HORRIBLE,

And is precisely why even Debian Unstable has been a better choice over
Redhat since about version 5.2.  I care about quality and stability, not
artificial release deadlines.  You don't get that with Redhat anymore.

Case in point, Redhat's inclusion of gcc 3.x as the default compiler
well before it was ready for primetime.  That completely validated the
switch to Debian for me.

(flack jacket on)

Regards,
Mike