[NCLUG] Re: 'we have met the enemy, . . ."

Paul Wehr wehrp at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 20:56:50 MDT 2003

It is noteworthy that all of the comments seem to be from
former/current windoze users. Coming from the other side, the light
side, I didn't find my RedHat 7.2 install too overly difficult.
Obtuse, the first time I tried it, but understanding that it was
originally constructed for patched together systems, it was clear
that some additional steps needed to be taken to make the
installation compatible with whatever system I had.

   It is indeed "us," the users who deal with and accept such a
mishmash of OS, windowing systems, and group created software.

   I'm not complaining. I am certainly not in a position to make any
substantive contributions. I'm not a programmer. I paid next to
nothing for the computer that's running Linux, for which I also paid
nothing. When I have work to do, it's on my other machine, which
incidentally has the underpinnings of BSD Linux.

   The group applications developers are most likely refugees from the
Windoze world and the complaint was that they didn't think their
project through. Again, it is difficult to fault them. I didn't pay
for their work. Did any of this group? I don't fault the many
anonymous developers, but I could wish for better. Most of the
application programs I've tried still have the Windoze look, feel,
and operability. They seem to be clunky, balky, and obtuse.

   Still, I'm optimistic about the future of Linux as a viable option
at many levels. I'll have to inventory my assets and see what
contribution I can make to the community.

Best wishes,
Paul