[NCLUG] notebook power

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 22 02:03:50 MDT 2003

I hear that the newer HP laptops don't support APM at all, as they don't
have APM BIOS.  So the only way to get battery data is to get ACPI
support built in, and I think at least for all RH derivatives, it means
time to build a custom kernel as RH doesn't support ACPI due to its
not-quite-primetime status.  Though M$-OS's seem to use ACPI fine, there
are still some serious issues with LinuxACPI and having it work an any
arbitrary piece of hardware.  BTW, stock RH kernels do have APM built in,
at least I can get battery life through APM with the RH9 stock kernel.

I've heard HP "got it right" with ACPI.  I hope you don't have to deal
with what I had to do to get useful data out of ACPI on my laptop, whose
DSDT is broken...

My desktop's ACPI is also somewhat messed up.  At least it will boot fine
and I don't really need ACPI at the moment...  My old desktop's
motherboard will crash if ACPI is enabled.

-bc