[NCLUG] Lite distros/programs for old pcs?

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 07:16:13 MDT 2003

This is right down my alley.  Have had a lot of experiences so far in
this, most of them unsuccessful.

I managed to get a Corel Linux installation up on an old machine, and it
worked ok with a really nice display.  Got Netscape working but not much
else.  Unfortunately Corel didn't provide much software and stopped
supporting the system after a while.  I've been trying to put something
else on that machine, but the Corel system is tenacious and blocks every
attempt.

Red Hat 7.2 has been working well on two machines running at 166.  It
comes with enough software to be useful.

Installed Mandrake 7.0 at one point on a 133 Gateway.  It worked all
right, but there wasn't much with it.  So i eventually took it off and
replaced it with a Windows NT system.

Red Hat 6.1 will work on older machines, but again there's not much with
it.  I never tried the Internet with that install.  Eventually wiped it
out trying to install Suse 7.0, but that didn't take and then the hard
drive crashed.

For your Sunday school, Knoppix might be a good choice.  I've been
running it for our elementary students with good results.  It has a lot
of great games, including the best typing drill programs i've seen
anywhere.  In this case, i run it straight off the CD each time, on top
of a computer that has an RH 7.2 installation.  I still haven't figured
out how to access that computer's hard drive, but that's not really
critical in this case since these students rarely need to save any
work.  You must have at least 128 MB RAM to run this!

Now i'm waiting for more donated machines to play with, which hopefully
will arrive soon.

If you're ever up in Cheyenne, perhaps we could arrange a tour of my
school.  That way, i could get you copies of some interesting
distributions to try.  Unfortunately most distributions these days
either require a minimum of 200 mhz and 128 MB RAM, or they just don't
have enough packages to be useful.  But there are ways, and since you're
working with a church of course i'm interested in helping out.