[NCLUG] Lite distros/programs for old pcs? \\ "no software to run" ???

P. Scott DeVos scott at savingtree.com
Fri Oct 24 19:03:39 MDT 2003

For older distro, you might consider looking for older copies of "redhat
for dummies" or the "redhat bible" (or suse or slackware or
whatever--I'm not pushing a distro, but RedHat seems to have lots of
older books available ) or other such books on amazon.

Michael Riversong wrote:
> Good questions.  Part of the problem for me has been that we don't get
> working modems with many of the donated computers.  I've put one in our
> best Linux machine, and couldn't get RH to recognize it.

Modems are hard to get working on with any OS.  Are your computers
networked?  I have one or two old 3COM OfficeConnect modem routers I
would be willing to donate.  These are just like DSL routers, but they
have a dial-up modem inside instead of an ethernet LAN connection.  You
can program them with a browser and they even have a built in DHCP
server.  They also have a built-in 4 port 10-base hub.  With an
additional hub or switch, they support up to 25 computers each (I think
--the older ROMS only supported 10). I don't think I still have the
manual, but you can probably get it off the internet.

Anyhow, they are *loads* easier to get working than a regular modem and
you don't need to configure PPP on your box.

Let me know if you are interested.
--
P. Scott DeVos