[NCLUG] ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV using v4l apps

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 29 09:49:12 MST 2003

Ok, I'm plagued with video capture problems, here's another one :)

I can't seem to get my ATI AIW to use V4L apps or use avview to capture.
The symptoms are:

Using GATOS XFree86 4.3 Experimental 10 drivers
Using ALSA 0.9.2 (should upgrade, but...)
DRI is working, getting 1000+ FPS on glgears (but I can crash the box if I
change video modes)
avview 0.12/ffmpeg 4.8, I can see what I want to capture in the preview
window(!)
TCL/TK 8.3.5 (Redhat 9)
Also have a bttv bt878 card which works and in the same machine.
Using km 0.2.1, also tried the CVS version

When using ffmpeg to record from the ATI device (/dev/videoX depending on
which order I insmodded bttv.o versus km_drv.o), it simply hangs,
requiring a kill -9 to bring back.  This dies regardless if I have avview
running or not.  When trying to use avview to capture, I have an ALSA
issue (a cannot-find-file problem?) but if I disable sound, avview
segfaults and crashes.

If I however point ffmpeg to the bt878 card, it's happy and I get my avi
file.

Almost there, but quite broken - anyone have their ATI AIW's working?