[NCLUG] Computer Inspired Fiction Recommendations?

Rich Young rich at ExperiencePlus.Com
Wed Sep 10 11:58:58 MDT 2003

I know Marcio has called off the hounds on this question, but I realized
last night that I had failed to mention one of my favorites, "Whiteout" by
Sage Walker.  This book isn't centered on hard computing the way some of the
others mentioned are, but it did a better job than any I've seen before of
portraying a functioning collaborative work environment based on networking
and VR.  Snowcrash and Neuromancer were ahead of their time in the way they
imagined the internet, but Whiteout was written later on and had the benefit
of a clearer understanding of how people were going to use the internet.
I'm still amazed nobody has implemented primitive versions of the tools
Walker imagined -- I'd love to see a dual-cursor text editor, for example,
so users could edit collaboratively and simultanaeously.

--Rich