[NCLUG] wlan

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 12 15:54:55 MDT 2003

That's probably the first thing you'll need to do, is upgrade your kernel
to 2.4 at least.  I think that's new (WLAN support) in 2.4.  I'm not sure
if the wlan-ng drivers will work (www.linux-wlan.org).  have you dealt
with getting wireless working under windows first?  There are a few
concepts that can get confusing without a working system, especially
if you're starting up a system (wap and all) from scratch.

I still haven't found the "correct" way to get RH9's wireless going with
my Spectrum24 wlan card, post initial install.  I'm basically using
iwconfig/ifconfig directly at this point... grr.  and pcmcia-utils still
doesnt appear to detect my spectrum24 card without me adding the manufid
and cardid in manually. grr^2

-bc

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Nicholas Lang wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:31:58 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Nicholas Lang <nlang at simla.ColoState.EDU>
> To: nclug at nclug.org
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] wlan
>
> I use Debian and I'm trying to get my wireless card up and working, I've
> still yet to get my nic card working (but that's another story cause I
> need to find a place to hook up too)
>
> I just installed woody, and I havn't upgraded my kernel yet so I'm still
> using the 2.2 kernel.
>
> but anyway if you could point that out to me that'd be great!
> Nick
>
> Free the heel and
> the mind will follow
>
> ((
>  ))
> ((
>  ))
>
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 shane at bogomip.com wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:39:34AM -0600, Daniel Miles wrote:
> > > If there's anybody out there who has wireless (802.11b) on a linux
> > > laptop, I could use some advice because I don't even know where to
> > > start.
> > >
> > > I've got a Dell Inspiron 5100 and a linksys WPC11 pcmcia 802.11b card.
> >
> > Should be easy as pie
> >
> > > I'm pretty sure I've got the pcmcia stuff configured correctly, it
> > > reports unknown card in slot (lspci).
> >
> > lspci will not show pcmcia devices, however cardctl will.
> >
> > Give me the output of lspci and I will tell you what the unknown device is.. most likely your internal modem.
> >
> > > I'm also pretty sure I can get the card working because I found a pretty
> > > good howto.
> >
> > > However, setting my my networking for wireless is totally beyond me... I
> > > know I have to add something in /etc/network/interfaces and that such an
> > > item has something to do with the word wlan0 but that's it, that's all I
> > > know.
> >
> > Using debian.. I can point you to a good source for configuring this
> >
> > Shane

WARNING: All HTML emails get deleted.  DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL.

"So many problems, so little ammunition."
  - Adult Swim, Cartoon Network