[NCLUG] wlan

shane at bogomip.com shane at bogomip.com
Sat Sep 13 08:43:33 MDT 2003

when you install the wireless-tools package in debian it plops this little sub-script into your filesystem.

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools

when ifup/down now calls the wireless interface.. it can auto configure the wireless parameters before it assigns an ip/uses dhcp.

to assign those parameters check out /etc/network/interfaces

here is an example

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      hostname jitsu
      wireless_essid GiR
      wireless_mode managed
      wireless_key 1234-5678-91

there are more options that iwconfig can provide.. most of them are hooked into the pre-up script mentioned above.

this is mostly used for pci cards, most people feel more comfortable configuring the parameters in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts. However it is kinda messy in there.

lemme know if this helps

Shane