[NCLUG] new idea about os's

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Fri Sep 26 02:17:28 MDT 2003

On 26 Sep 2003 at 00:54:01, bill ehlert arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> here's a very new (to me, anyway) idea
> about os's  --  whether they be windows,
> linux, mac os, bsd, whatever:
>
> that whenever there's one with an
> almost-monopoly position, there's
> an almost-irresistable target for
> crackers.

This is a very, VERY old idea merely applied to networked operating
systems, specifically that of homogeneity of species.

This being Colorado, I'm sure someone on the list knows more about it in
the classical context than I do, but there's a reason why having a field
full of one genetic family of crop is bad. When the bugs/virii/plagues
come, the entire crop is decimated.

Ma Nature patented the idea, I think. ;-)

Later,
Paul