[NCLUG] Hacking Society of 4/13/04 aftermath

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Thu Apr 15 02:28:40 MDT 2004

Hello everybody,

First, thanks to Sean and everybody for your help and
encouragement at the meeting last night.

Second, I'm writing this on a Thinkpad 600 running
Suse Linux 9.0 and connected through my regular 56k
dialup provider. This is a big step since it is the
first time I've been able to get dialup to work with
Linux. Meanwhile, my little Thinkpad 760XD (running
OS/2 Warp) is chugging away at its second SETI at home
work unit... the first one took 54 hours, 11 minutes
and 24.2 seconds to complete. [laughing]

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do SETI at home
on Linux. There is a command line version available
but I don't understand about an X screensaver version?

Next project is to do a Complete-Baremetal-Backup-and-
Recovery of this computer (TP600) to replace the 3 gb
hard drive with a 10 gb hard drive. Have any of y'all
done this ... and are there any gotchas I should know
about?

Thanks again,
Shorter Rankin
nighthawk999_at_NOSPAM_bigvalley.net