[NCLUG] Mini-ITX/PC-104

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Wed Apr 28 07:04:44 MDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Dave Treece wrote:

> I'm just learning about Mini-ITX and PC-104 systems, I was wondering if
> anybody has worked with these using Linux. I'd also like some pointers on
> building such a system - since I've never done it, it would be nice to see
> an example/howto.
>
> Also, the application I'm looking at requires 8 serial ports. I've found
> mult-port PCI cards that would probably work with the Mini-ITX. But, I've
> only found 4 port cards for the PC-104. Could you stack two of the 4 port
> PC-104 cards?
>
> Another question, then I'll set back and see what responses I get...
>
> The PC-104's I've seen seem to be underpowered 386, are there any faster
> systems (P2/586/etc)? Pointers would be helpful.

Try  www.versalogic.com for some high power PC-104
CPU boards. Goto www.diamondsystems.com for an 8 port serial PC-104 card.

We run Debian Linux on our PC-104's with a Real Time
extension from FSM Labs Inc. It has worked real nice for us.
We use it in a system for Geophysical Exploration, where our
system is suspended from the hook of a helicoptor. Each
sensor has its own PC-104, which network boots from the main
computer installed inside the helicoptor.

If you are interested in what the complete system looks like
goto
http://steveque.freeshell.org
and click on the link SYSTEM, it is a .JPG and is 69.9K, so
make take a while on a dial up.

Steve