[NCLUG] dual head that isn't....

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Aug 11 11:14:07 MDT 2004

Thus spake James Cizek:

>    Hi folks,
>
>   I am running a Matrox G200 dual head card on Slackware 10.0
>   and currently have the two displays "stitched" together to
>   create a big wide screen (like most people).  I want to have
>   two independent screens so that the main screen and second screen
>   are 2 entities.  A friend at work here suggests that maybe 2 seperate
>   X servers need to run to do this each with it's own screen.
>   Has anyone done this?  If so, do you have snippits of xconfig to
>   share with me?  Once you have done this, how do you switch keyboard/
>   mouse control between them?  Thanks for any thoughts you may have...
>   -James

 If you go the route of having 2 X servers, using x2x will do what you want.

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/x2x/

 I use it to go between my Linux and Sun workstations using the same
keyboard/mouse. 'x2vnc' works similarly from X to winders machines. I
actually use both at the same time for 3 desktops at work.

 I don't have any experience with dual-headed video cards though. You
might try checking the archives of the NCLUG list though as I think this
has come up before.

    http://nclug.org/pipermail/nclug/