[NCLUG] recover image files?

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Sun Aug 22 21:12:23 MDT 2004

Person Who Asked To Have Her Name Removed From The Internet writes...

> well, here's a shot in the dark -
> any way to recover image files?
> They are coming up in xv as a text thing with \ tags
> but no image.

What image format? jpg?
Depending on the format there my be tools to fix them. My distro has a package
called libjpeg-progs that seems like it might be useful.
Have you tried other viewer like maybe gqview, imagemagick (display), or eog?

> I have major issues with my linux system,
> which doesn't like me umount'ing a flash card
> so I usually have to log off-log back in to change cards.
> (umount says it's busy, even though i got nothing open)

I bet your desktop environment is being clever and is doing something behind
the scenes. Maybe nautilus or something? Maybe lsof would help?

> p.s. dmesg is still a mess for me,
> Mine's been reporting tons of errors and i never
> got the iriver to connect either, nor my camera directly
> to usb ( I use a sandisk card reader)

You could post these as additional messages with more detail and maybe someone
would be able to help.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org