[NCLUG] recover image files?

Person Who Asked To Have Her Name Removed From The Internet ADDRESS_REMOVED_BY_REQUEST
Sun Aug 22 21:44:32 MDT 2004

Thanks for the response!
Matt Taggart wrote:

>Person Who Asked To Have Her Name Removed From The Internet writes...
>

>>well, here's a shot in the dark -
>>any way to recover image files?
>>They are coming up in xv as a text thing with \ tags
>>but no image.
>>

>What image format? jpg?
>Depending on the format there my be tools to fix them. My distro has a package
>called libjpeg-progs that seems like it might be useful.
>Have you tried other viewer like maybe gqview, imagemagick (display), or eog?

yes, it is jpg
gqview and eog don't like it (gqview says unknown and eog says unknown
image format.
searched for libjpeg - looks like you're using debian
I'm using fedora
I can try some of the windows recovery tools tomorrow at work
xv is the only one displaying the file as text, looks like lots of
backslashes and numbers
(tags) and control chars

>>I have major issues with my linux system,
>>which doesn't like me umount'ing a flash card
>>so I usually have to log off-log back in to change cards.
>>(umount says it's busy, even though i got nothing open)
>>

>I bet your desktop environment is being clever and is doing something behind
>the scenes. Maybe nautilus or something? Maybe lsof would help?

lsof:  neat!  well, this looks problematic:
fam        6777     zil   25r   DIR        8,1     2048          2
/mnt/flash/.Trash-zil

not sure what to do with anything right now...

>>p.s. dmesg is still a mess for me,
>>Mine's been reporting tons of errors and i never
>>got the iriver to connect either, nor my camera directly
>>to usb ( I use a sandisk card reader)
>>

>You could post these as additional messages with more detail and maybe someone
>would be able to help.

I did. (a month ago)  oh well =)

thanks