[NCLUG] RedHat Enterprise 3 question

James Cizek jcizek at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU
Tue Dec 7 15:16:15 MST 2004

  Hi Folks,

  Having a bit of trouble with RedHat Enterprise server 3.
  I am used to the old inetd where it was nice and simple
  and you edit one file to make a change.  Since ES uses
  xinetd, I am having trouble starting a new service.
  I have added a new file in my /etc/xinetd.d for the new
  service (the new service is a sendmail that i want spawned
  at a very high debugging level)  I added the new service
  name and port to /etc/services  I issued 'service xinetd restart'
  and it restarts.  The machine is still refusing connections
  on that new port.  chkconfig --list shows that my new service
  is on and is set to be on at run levels 2 3 4 5
  Am I missing something?  I thought it was so much simpler
  when you just had to edit inetd.conf....   8-)

  -James