[NCLUG] RedHat Enterprise 3 question

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Dec 7 20:36:32 MST 2004

James Cizek wrote:
>   Having a bit of trouble with RedHat Enterprise server 3.
>   I am used to the old inetd where it was nice and simple
>   and you edit one file to make a change.

Ah, the good old days.

>   Since ES uses xinetd, I am having trouble starting a new service.
>   I have added a new file in my /etc/xinetd.d for the new service
>   (the new service is a sendmail that i want spawned at a very high
>   debugging level) I added the new service name and port to
>   /etc/services I issued 'service xinetd restart' and it restarts.
>   The machine is still refusing connections on that new port.
>   chkconfig --list shows that my new service is on and is set to be
>   on at run levels 2 3 4 5 Am I missing something?  I thought it was
>   so much simpler when you just had to edit inetd.conf....  8-)

I am afraid I can't help with the xinetd part.  But saying that
chkconfig --list shows it is on implies to me that it is not an xinetd
daemon but rather a standalone daemon instead.  It seems strange to me
to have both of those going.  So perhaps one is conflicting with the
other since only one of the daemons will be able to bind to the port.
You can check if something is listening on the port with the following
command.

  netstat -na | grep the_port_number

Are there any messages to the syslog?

Bob