[NCLUG] RedHat Enterprise 3 question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 8 04:20:52 MST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:36:32PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>I am afraid I can't help with the xinetd part.  But saying that
>chkconfig --list shows it is on implies to me that it is not an xinetd
>daemon but rather a standalone daemon instead.

chkconfig will also list xinetd services:

   guin:~$ chkconfig --list | grep -e uucp -e xinet
   xinetd          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
   xinetd based services:
           uucp:   on

My question is whether the chkconfig line that is being talked about is the
init.d sendmail or the xinetd sendmail.  Since the original author was
talking about run-levels, it's pretty certain that they were talking about
totally the wrong thing.

One thing I'd mention is that you should try building a xinetd.d file by
passing your desired inetd.conf line to "inetdconvert", which will (try to)
convert it to the xinetd format.

The firewall suggestion is also a good idea, if "fuser -n tcp <port num>"
reports that something is running on that port, then it's obviously a
firewall.  However, "telnet 127.0.0.1 <port num>" would also work in that
case.

When I first set up UUCP under xinetd it took me a bit to get it right.
The benefit of xinetd.d is that you don't have to worry about modifying an
/etc/inetd.conf as a packager, you can just install files.  Also, chkconfig
can be used to enable/disable inetd services easily now (by changing
"disabled" in the file).

 If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
                 -- P. G. Wodehouse