[NCLUG] RedHat Enterprise 3 question

James Cizek jcizek at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU
Wed Dec 8 07:45:34 MST 2004

    Bill & group,

  OK, checked on the firewall, it's not that.  I know that sendmail
  isn't usually started in inetd, my normal sendmail is running
  like it should from init, this is a second sendmail that I want
  to run in conjunction for a test I need to make.  I went to
  /etc/xinetd.d and copied a script that was already there
  (I believe it was the imap script) to a new name, edited it
  to put my new sendmail lines in, removing the imap specific stuff
  and changing the enabled = no to enabled = yes
  Then I issued service xinetd restart.  It restarted.
  I don't know why it shows up in chkconfig --list, I didn't add
  anything to /etc/init.d  (and I checked to make sure there wasn't
  somethere there called the same thing)

  Unless something drastic has changed, I don't believe you put anything
  about the port # it runs on in the sendmail.cf.  If you run it out
  of inetd you can put it on any port you want.  I have another sendmail
  running on an odd port here to handle listserv delivery stuff without
  problem.  That's on AIX but I also have a slackware box running sendmail
  on 2 ports (why couldn't they just stick with regular inetd??  It was
  so great!!)

  So if anyone else has any ideas for me to try, I'm ready to listen!!
  This has gotten pretty frustrating since neither Dell nor Redhat
  tech support can figure it out....
   Thanks guys!  8-)
  -James

 James,

 Sendmail services are not usually started by xinetd or inetd.  They are
 usually run as
 daemons.  However, this doesn't mean you can't.   When you say that
 chkconfig --list
 shows your new service is set to run on 2 3 4 5 then I know it's not set
 up right.  Are
 you sure you didn't put a script in /etc/init.d for your service?  They
 are the only scripts
 run for different runlevels.

 Other things to consider if your sendmail service is running.  Did you
 configure your
 sendmail.cf to listen on a different port than smtp?  Do you have a
 firewall that would
 inhibit you connecting to your port?

 Bill

 James Cizek wrote:

 >  Hi Folks,
 >
 >  Having a bit of trouble with RedHat Enterprise server 3.
 >  I am used to the old inetd where it was nice and simple
 >  and you edit one file to make a change.  Since ES uses
 >  xinetd, I am having trouble starting a new service.
 >  I have added a new file in my /etc/xinetd.d for the new
 >  service (the new service is a sendmail that i want spawned
 >  at a very high debugging level)  I added the new service
 >  name and port to /etc/services  I issued 'service xinetd restart'
 >  and it restarts.  The machine is still refusing connections
 >  on that new port.  chkconfig --list shows that my new service
 >  is on and is set to be on at run levels 2 3 4 5
 >  Am I missing something?  I thought it was so much simpler
 >  when you just had to edit inetd.conf....   8-)
 >
 >  -James

 To unsubscribe, subscribe, or modify
 your settings, go to: