[NCLUG] Visioneer 6600 scanner driver

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 20 17:43:26 MST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 10:15:01PM -0700, Charles Welsh wrote:
>I am seriously considering switching from WindowsXP Home Edition to
>Linux.  However, all of my efforts so far to determine if I can use
>my Visioneer One Touch 6600 (USB) scanner with Linux have not been

Visioneer...  Aren't they the ones that used to make the "Paper Port",
which HP sold under it's "Scan Jet" line for a while?  HP was extremely
good about providing protocol information about the Scan Jets *EXCEPT* for
the Visioneer.  I called up our contact for the developer program about it
and was told that Visioneer considered their protocol extremely proprietary
and would not release this information.

>From looking at the list that taggart posted, it seems like this has not
changed.

Unfortunately, if the manufacturer is going to do this, you have little
chance other than switching to another scanner.  If you decide to go this
route, remember that you can often get a reasonable price for the old
scanner on ebay.  Maybe that would allow you to upgrade to a scanner which
is a little less tied to the whims of the vendor.

 Peppermint Patty gets a DSL line in "YOU'D TELL ME IF YOU WERE IN A GERMAN
 SCHEISSE VIDEO WOULDN'T YOU, CHARLIE BROWN"