[NCLUG] spam problem with qmail

listz at hate.cx listz at hate.cx
Mon Jan 12 22:29:07 MST 2004

how did you setup qmail? i'd imagine that you have some process that starts up
like:

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -P -R -l 0 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -v -u 2850 \
-g 32750 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

is this accurate? Is the /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb line really there? in this
configuration that is what controls what can relay through through the machine.
does /etc/tcp.smtp exist? howabout, what's in /var/qmail/control, this also
plays a part in relay control. i'm just looking at these things, because its far
easier for a spammer to simply find an open relay rather than compromise a
machine to send spam. i use qmail at work and home, so i can see if i can help
you stop relaying.

on Mon Jan 12 18:32, mherndon disclosed: