[NCLUG] Re: wireless networking install

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 15 13:38:44 MST 2004

Agreed on that.  Though there are apparently two 802.11g chipsets that are
showing promise - prism gt and definately Atheros.

I bought an Atheros based card (madwifi.sourceforge.net, not
totally open-source) and it works fairly well enough.  Poor reception,
might be my card not working so well. (PCMCIA: D-Link DWL-AG650, AP:
Linksys WRT54G).  There's an atheros fully opensource driver, but I hear
it's not quite ready for primetime (i.e., WEP doesn't work?)  I don't know
what other details there are...maybe it's working already.

Unfortunately my wireless was not cheap.  But I had to support those two
companies as they're at least doing something with linux...  (I haven't
mucked with the WRT54G's router yet... but that promises to be interesting
:-)

-bc