[NCLUG] Linux Admin Classes at FRCC

Les lestaw at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 16:16:47 MST 2004

Hey DJ,
I took a UNIX sys admin online course at FRCC way back in 1998  and they used Linux Slackware distro version 2.0 to teach it. The big project was to get mgetty working. That was painful but I did it. We had to telnet and FTP into the school and used good ol' ( I really mean crappy ol') Pine for email. I kinda cheated and got Netscape email working because Pine was so brutal with the 28.8 kb modem I was running then. Hope you got a good teacher. Good luck.
Les

DJ Eshelman <dj at sgc-inc.net> wrote:
Well, FRCC finally got a Linux Administration course going.

I decided to enroll, because frankly my hack-and-slash experience with Linux
thus far isn't really helping any. And, well, I needed a way to put my
school loans into deferrment (muhahahahaa).

It's pretty much following the SAIR books- the learning distro is RedHat 7.3
(sigh). It's been sort of boring thus far as it really does start from the
basics and move on from there.
But I thought I'd let everyone know that if the question comes up in the
future for people wanting to know where to take courses, it looks like FRCC
is the place.
Let's just hope that this will lead to some more advanced Linux courses in
the near future as well.

Perhaps more updates to follow- and the other good news is that I finally
got my Tuesday evenings free again so perhaps I can start actually attending
meetings... it's been too long.

-DJ

--
DJ Eshelman, JIT-Tech.com