[NCLUG] Re: Creating a remote bridge

Michael Crosiar crosiarcm at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 10:03:51 MDT 2004

Thanks Sean,

I'll make sure I use a current kernel.

I have some questions, but first I better layout my
network a little more.

(VMWARE-Windows)<--->Linux
(home)<===============>Linux (work)<---->Ethernet
interface(s)

So, on my work side the bridge looks pretty simple to
me. The OpenVPN creates an interface that the bridge
binds to along with any other ethernet interfaces that
I want to join the bridge. My question on this side is
will binding to more than one ethernet interface cause
these interfaces to see each others traffic? If so,
will iptables filter them?

On the home side, VMware will create virtual
interfaces that I should be able to bind the bridge
to, correct? But I also want my home linux box to see
the bridges traffic. I don't see a way to do this,
since it appears that the bridge must bind to an
interface, and the bridge traffic only appears to
connections on that interface. Am I understanding this
correctly? If I am, it looks like I'll have to add a
firewall/bridge to my home network. If not, how do you
bind the bridge to the localhost?

I hope I explained this ok. Any suggestions are
welcome - I hope to work on this this weekend :)