[NCLUG] Modem Source?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jun 20 22:29:36 MDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:23:01AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>like internal modems.  But pretty much everyone hates "winmodems".

Not true.  I prefer a good Winmodem.  The Lucent-based winmodems I've
had very good luck with.  The problem is finding a good winmodem.

Beyond their low cost, winmodems tend to have much lower latency than
typical serial modems, because they aren't going through the extra layer
of encoding/decoding latency.  Winmodems can also be thought of as phone
interfaces, and there's some good code out there for using winmodems to
control and monitor a POTS line, including voicemail DTMF detection and
generation, ring detection and decoding, caller ID detection, etc.

Not that I use modems very much these days.  I have a PCMCIA 33.6 modem
that I keep around for the rare opportunities where I will be traveling
and need a modem for dialin.  Usually I can get by with wireless or
ethernet, or CDMA, even when traveling.

 Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
                 -- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory