[NCLUG] Apache/mod_ssl question

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Tue Mar 16 15:10:07 MST 2004

apachectl configtest didn't do much for me -- just verified that there
are no invalid directives in the configuration files.  It wasn't a
surprise, but it's nice to know that.

Following the instructions at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#verify, I verified
that the currently installed cert and key match.  I don't see much else
in the SSL FAQ that looks applicable to this situation.

openssl s_client is providing much more information now.  I appear to
have some sort of break in the CA chain - again, a bit mystifying
because I don't remember messing with this in the first place....
Anyway, I'm fooling around with the SSLCertificateChainFile and
SSLCACertificateFile directives, trying to get rid of the errors I'm
seeing (#'s 20 and 19, mostly -- both indicating that there's something
wrong with the CA, if I'm reading the errors & google output correctly.)

Right now, my plan is to come in during the wee hours, back up my cert,
key, web site, and current config files, and uninstall/reinstall apache.
Then I'll work with the fresh config to bring the site back up and get
it working with the key. Unless somebody else has a better idea ;^)

Thanks again, Steve.
--Rich