[NCLUG] FreeBSD versus Linux?

Alan Silverstein ajs at frii.com
Wed Mar 17 17:19:37 MST 2004

Could anyone here please give me a brief education on how FreeBSD
relates to Linux?

For odd reasons, I went looking for open sources for the old reliable
"mailx" program.  I found a recent Debian version and got it to compile
on FreeBSD (at frii.com), but it wasn't easy.  And at runtime it wants
/usr/libexec/lockspool, which is absent.  Clearly there are some
disappointing dialect issues here.

Next I went hunting for a FreeBSD version of mailx.  Well I found the
very nice www.freebsd.org site, but best I can tell, all it offers is
the kernel/OS, no commands.  (So where did FRII get their commands
sources?)

I'm having no luck finding the "FreeBSD version of mailx", only some
references to the fact it might exist, as in, "ported their bug fixes
back."

Thanks,
Alan Silverstein