[NCLUG] FreeBSD versus Linux?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 20 12:52:26 MST 2004

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> bob at proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:
> > Personally I wish people would use the more explicit .tar.gz suffix
> > since it is completely self-documentating.  Thankfully I have not seen
> > anyone try to shorting the .tar.bz2 endings to something that fits on
> > a MSDOS floppy disk so perhaps this will all eventually age away.
>
> And maybe someday UNIX/Linux people will adapt to readable filenames
> with spaces too ... as have been on MacOS and MSWin machines for years.

Hmm...  All of the programs that I use on a daily basis are fine with
spaces in filenames.  Perhaps if the ones you are using are troubled
by this you could fix them and submit the patches upstream.  That way
the bugs would get fixed and everyone would benefit.

I think what you are really asking for is for all software written by
the many programmers at large to be feature-full and bug free.

But I don't find filenames with spaces more readable than filenames
without spaces.  (Back to that principle of primacy again.  In my case
it is 14 characters was the length limit for filenames so don't put in
any fluff in the name or it will be truncated.)

> That many tools which still require shell command line parsing in scripts
> fail makes the practice annoying at best.

Patient to doctor: It hurts when I do this...
Doctor to patient: Don't do that.

Bob