[NCLUG] FreeBSD versus Linux?

P. Scott DeVos scott at savingtree.com
Sat Mar 20 13:02:51 MST 2004

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> bob at proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:
>
>>Personally I wish people would use the more explicit .tar.gz suffix
>>since it is completely self-documentating.  Thankfully I have not seen
>>anyone try to shorting the .tar.bz2 endings to something that fits on
>>a MSDOS floppy disk so perhaps this will all eventually age away.
>

> And maybe someday UNIX/Linux people will adapt to readable filenames
> with spaces too ... as have been on MacOS and MSWin machines for years.
>
> That many tools which still require shell command line parsing in scripts
> fail makes the practice annoying at best.

Even on Windows computers, any command line work involving filenames
with a space in them is a pain.  Spaces serve excellently as the
separator character, they have no place in filenames.  I would love to
have a talk with the dope that thought up the "documents and settings"
directory in Windows!  I'll take /home, /docs and /etc any day over that
mess.

> John

P. Scott DeVos