[NCLUG] Domain service question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun May 2 20:06:01 MDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:42:07AM -0600, Paul Price wrote:
>server (I'll call this machine "drake").

But of course you will...

>What features do I need from the domain provider? Sub-domains?

If you aren't going to be doing DNS, you will need to fine someone who
will.  Registering a domain just puts glue in the root servers to tell
people that if they're looking for information on "example.com" that
they will need to contact this and that DNS server.  Some domain
registration companies offer DNS as well, some don't.  For example, we
offer DNS, but we charge for it.

You can probably set up DNS on your server, depending on how much work
you're up for doing.  Some domains such as .org REQUIRE two DNS servers,
so you may have to make arrangements with someone else as well.

>Is there a good "how-to" for this type of setup?

I don't know.  What you want to do in Apache is called "Name Based
Virtuals".  It's fairly easy to set up.  http://dnsreport.com/ is
something you should use if you set up DNS, because it'll tell you about
the common mistakes you might make.  Right, ant?  ;-)

 Canadian phone sex: What colour touque are you wearing?
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/