[NCLUG] Fix man pages

Alan Silverstein ajs at frii.com
Sun Oct 24 14:36:55 MDT 2004

John et al,

> "col" does go way back, but in the early days command line args are
> very "rare" as most tools are considered to be single purpose.

I remember those good old days.  Also the kernel was as small as
possible and you did everything that wasn't hardware-specific in
userland.  This fell to the implacable demand for increased performance,
even as systems continued to get faster anyway.

> See source below.

Oh, yuck, you put this ancient code on display again!

One of my first C programs, around 1980, was anac (analyze C code) -- it
reliably calculates non-comment source lines versus blank/comment lines.
(It even has a four-way mode for blank, comment-only, stuff-only, or
stuff+comment.)  I ran it on a lot of Bell Labs UNIX C code and got 11%
CSL, meaning their code was almost comment-free; that 11% was mostly the
occasional blank line!

I happened to talk on the phone with a guy at Bell Labs, literally at
Murray Hill, and asked him about that.  His reply resonates many years
later as the classic definition of what I call "software macho"...
paraphrasing from my weak memory, "We understand this code just fine,
what's YOUR problem?"

This was before you could take classes in Human Factors, software
engineering quality, etc.  (Not that they seem to have made much
difference, based on code I still see today that lacks even basics like
comments, parameterizations, or common functions.)

Cheers,
Alan Silverstein