[NCLUG] Asterisk & T1

jeff jeff at themoes.org
Tue Apr 26 17:27:52 MDT 2005

I'm getting a data T1 to FRII and will connect it to a Sangoma A101
running either GNU/Linux or OpenBSD.

I thought it would be cool, if possible, to peel off a few channels (say
4) and use them to provide free local VoIP.

FRII has their own VoIP type services, but I wanted to do this myself to
learn more about it and to experiment with Asterisk.

The only way I can figure this can be done is to use a PRI, which is way
more expensive that a point-to-point T1.

So, ideally I would like data bandwidth to FRII and have some channels
dynamically allocated to the PSTN. Or, if that isn't possible, have a
few channels dedicated to the PSTN.

I'd also like to do it with a card I can pop in a Free Software box,
instead of some black box, so I can play with it. :)

Ideas? Input? Anyone? :)

Thanks,

-Jeff