[NCLUG] Bootable HDD image generation

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Aug 21 22:14:20 MDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:26:12PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>Building an auto-install CD isn't an option, because the target device
>doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, and we can't attach one using e.g. USB.

How about PXE?  I'm doing a LOT of installs via PXE these days.

>Humm. I guess if I kept the kernel/initrd in a raw partition with no
>filesystem, then the sectors would be guaranteed contiguous, and I
>wouldn't need lilo to boot - something much simpler would work...

If you keep the kernel and initrd in an ext2 partition that doesn't change,
you can just dd the bootblocks and the partition with the kernel/initrd on.
You only have to run lilo when the layout changes, if you keep the layout
you can just copy the data.

 You're only a programmer if you've stood under the program while the
 scaffolding was being removed.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 2001