[NCLUG] More on Linux Alternatives for Home Use

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Tue Aug 23 17:20:13 MDT 2005

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to explain the antivirus situation
for me.  It's a little hard to believe, considering how much time I
spend at work protecting our users from viruses - but I've managed to
wrap my head around the fact that staying updated is good enough.

Meanwhile, I'm plugging along nicely with everything except modem
config.  I have a pci modem with the Lucent chipset (which I was assured
should work fine with linux), and there was recognition of the new
hardware when I booted after the install.  But the various modem
configuration utilities don't seem to recognize the modem, and I'm
having trouble getting as far as dialing.  Do any of you remember your
distant dial-up past well enough to offer assistance here?