Connecting to Camera, UnErasing Photo (was RE: [NCLUG] Linux Alternatives & Necessities for Home Use)

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Aug 24 09:25:15 MDT 2005

bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> So it would appear that my camera was not seen as a scsi device?
> How would I determine what kind of device the camera would be
> seen as?

Cameras may be special purpose USB devices and need a special driver.
Or they may be USB storage devices and be seen by anything that can
read USB storage.  Your camera may have a way to configure it one way
or the other.  In which case if you configure it as a USB storage
device it would look just like your other USB device.

If your camera can't be a USB storage device then you might want to
look at the gphoto project files.  It talks camera language for many
cameras.  But I have not used it because I have always tried cameras
that were USB storage.

Bob