[NCLUG] rpm not recognizing library

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Dec 3 17:17:14 MST 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:04:04AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>rpm is concerned that file is not installed.  The real way to install
>that file would be to install the rpm package that contained that
>file.

In this case, that is almost certainly going to conflict with the
libstdc++ package(s) already on the system.  In some cases that may be an
option, but not likely in this case.  You *COULD* always just build an RPM
package that just contains that one file.  It's not THAT hard, and would
get RPM to shut up about it, and it might even solve your problem.

Some people would recommend that you just install pgp with "--nodeps",
but that almost always leads to a world of pain and should never, ever,
under any circumstances, be done.  Unless you're an expert, in which
case it should just never be done.

It will almost certainly cause problems doing future installs and upgrades.
You know when people winge about how RPM sucks because of broken
dependencies?  It's almost certainly because they've used "--nodeps" to
install a binary package that shouldn't have been installed.

Thanks,
 I've been going to this high-school for seven and a half years.  I'm no
 dummy...                      -- Better Off Dead