[NCLUG] rpm not recognizing library

bsimpson at att.net bsimpson at att.net
Tue Dec 6 11:03:52 MST 2005

Thanks Sean, Bob, Matt.

I'm not sure if I have the source for my version of PGP.  I'll
have to look at some of my archives to see if it's there.
Recompiling is certainly an option if I can find it.

I have been moving on to GPG.  However it does not handle the
Idea algorithm that PGP liked to use by default, unless you
get the Idea GPG add-on, which I've done.  So it appears that
I can now use GPG to decrypt all of my old PGP-encrypted archives.

I did a search for libstdc++.so.2.8 on rpmfind.net and got some
hits for Fedora Core 1, 2, and 3, but no 4.  Would I be taking
a risk if I installed a libstdc++ library for 3 on my FC4 system?
If it doesn't work, would my system be back to "normal" if I
uninstall it?

I would like to know how to make an rpm containing just the
libstdc++.so.2.8 file.  Is this easy and reasonably painless,
without having to become an rpm expert?  There is probably a
few "howtos" on the web.  Any recommendations?

Brian S