[NCLUG] Wanted: DMT DSL Modem. Cisco 678?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Jan 8 10:23:34 MST 2005

I have recently upgraded my Fort Collins Qwest DSL line from CAP to
DMT in order to take the speed to 1.5/1 Mbs down/up.  My old trusty
Cisco 675 only does CAP.  I borrowed a Cisco 678 from a friend.  But I
could not talk him into selling it to me.  He is planning on using it
himself again very soon.  This may not be a bad thing.  I fear this
particular modem may be flakey.  Periodically my connection gets into
a high packet loss state[1].  Is it the modem, the line, the ISP
equipment?  Not sure.  Sometimes reseting things helps.  Sometimes it
does not.  I need to replace the modem regardless so I am going to
work that angle first.  I am thinking the problem is the modem.

That puts me in the market for a DMT capable DSL modem.  The current
new ones are the ActionTec.  But I think I would prefer a Cisco 678
which unfortunately is no longer manufactured.  I need to start
looking on eBay to see what kinds of deals I can find.  But I would
prefer to find one in the Fort Collins and nearby area that I could
just drive to and pick up from someone.  If you happen to have one of
these that you would be willing to sell I would be interested in
talking to you.  I would prefer a Cisco 678 but may be interested in
the ActionTec so I can debug a routing problem I can't figure out with
the Cisco.  But that is another story.

Thanks
Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com>

[1] If the page is not dead due to packet loss you can see the
real time loss of my system.
  http://www.proulx.com/sys/pingstats.html
Since the above hopefully will be resolved soon, here are two
particularly bad days just so you can see the trouble I am having.
  http://www.proulx.com/sys/data/snapshot-2005-01-01/pingstats.html
  http://www.proulx.com/sys/data/snapshot-2005-01-08/pingstats.html